Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The zucchini adventure continues......

As the name of the post suggests we are carrying on the great Summer tradition that is know as "finding new ways to cook that giant zucchini I found hidden in my garden".  When I told my husband I had another recipe for him to try he came into the kitchen with this sad man face on and asked in quiet tones "it's not zucchini pancakes again is it"?  Poor guy, I love zucchini pancakes, not like the sweet breakfasty ones but more like a potato pancake with shredded zucchini instead.  You put a little feta in there and serve it with a tatziki sauce and you have some tasty stuff.  I guess I have served that one a bit too much lately.

Well the new recipe for him to try was a sweet muffin that had nuts and chocolate chips in it.  Would he like it? Did he approve? After eating another zucchini laced food would I walk into my kitchen and find a murder scene with my giant veggie as the victim? Nope, no veggiecide would take place, he was safe from a future behind bars.  He loved the muffins all warm with a bit of butter on them and has been happily taking them to work in his lunch.  The chips stay whole in this and add just a touch of chocolate.  This is a very sticky batter and I was not happy at how hard it was to get these guys out of the muffin tin.  I will be making these again but I will definitely be using cupcake cups for them next time.  These treats have some good alternative sugars in the recipe and even have so oatmeal.  Nuts, oatmeal, and chocolate chips: all equals a very tasty muffin worthy of a giant veggie found hidden under those huge green leaves.

Zucchini-Oatmeal Muffins

  • 1/2 cup 
  • 1/4 cup pecan halves, or nuts of your choice
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3 large egg whites ( I used four servings of the vegan egg replacer for both the eggs and whites)
  • 1/2 cup apple butter
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 2 cups grated zucchini, (about 1 medium)
Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 16 muffin cups with cooking spray or line them with paper liners.
Spread rolled oats and pecans on separate areas of a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, 5 to 10 minutes. Let cool. Chop the pecans.  Stir together all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, toasted oats and pecans in a large bowl. Whisk together eggs, egg whites, apple butter and oil in a medium bowl. Stir in zucchini. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until moistened. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full. Bake until the tops are golden and spring back when lightly pressed, 20 to 25 minutes.

Super good with butter or whipped cream cheese.  I hope you are enjoying your summer veggies and crafts. Keep it fresh, fun, and carefree everyone!
Kelly, the zucchini farie

0 comments:

Post a Comment