Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Fab or Flop: Spicy Fish Taco Bowls

I decided that I want to clean out my cupboards of all the half used nubbins and bits of dry goods that have accumulated: half a bag dry beans here, some tiny pasta hidden over there.  I admit that being only a family of two it’s not a huge amount of these things but I don’t want to waste the food if I could find a yummy recipe that calls for the little amount that I have.  I have some brown rice on my rice shelf so I searched “brown rice recipes” in the Pinterest and came up with a big long list.  After searching through a huge selection of tasty salads, puddings, and casseroles, I came upon this simple weeknight meal I could put together in a snap.  Of course we have to have a change from the original; I can’t seem to do any of these exactly as made.  We switched out US catfish for the tilapia, as we can only find the imports from China and not a chance I’m eating that, and I doubled up the avocado to one whole one, other than that all kinds of the same and yummy!

2 tilapia fish fillets
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp cumin
1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp chili powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 green onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper
1 cup corn kernels
1 cup black beans
salt and pepper to taste
1 avocado, cut in small pieces
1 lemon
2 cups cooked brown rice


In a small bowl mix the cumin, cayenne pepper and chill powder. Rub generously over the tilapia fillets on both sides.  Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the fish to the skillet and cook for about 3 minutes on each side. You want to make sure it gets almost blackened and that the fish is cooked through, inside it should be white. Remove fish from skillet and shred with a couple forks.

In the same skillet add, garlic, green onions, corn and red pepper. Season with salt and pepper if preferred. Stir and cook. Let it cook for a couple minutes then stir again. You want to make sure the corn is brown and looks roasted, it is worth it to get that roasted toasted taste. Add beans and cook until beans are heated through.  To serve, layer rice, corn/bean mixture, fish, avocados and sprinkle with fresh lemon juice. Top with salt if needed.


 This dish is fresh and bright at the same time the brown rice, fish, and avocado give it some good staying power in the “I’m full” department.  This great recipe that I look forward to enjoying again very soon.
FAB!

Kelly

0 comments:

Post a Comment