Monday, July 11, 2011

Glassy eyed crafting at its best!

Well, it's Craft Club time again.  It's been a while since we have been able to get together and have some craftin time with the group so we were itchin' to get it going.  It seems as if the summer should lend itself to leisurely fun with friends, but now that we are not of the school age persuasion time is even more limited in these halcyon months.  Obligations, work overtime, and chores all muscle in on our time spent amongst our fellow crafters; it's sad sometimes, thinking of lost time.  I am glad for this group of women I call my crafting buddies.  May we craft long into our golden years, still far off in the future, but not as far as they used to be.  I think the nature of this craft is what makes me so emotional.  There is such a timeless beauty in what we have chosen to make this month.  Beauty as unyielding as stone, but as fragile as glass.  The friendships among the craft club members is like this as well, both bright and beautiful, as well as strong and sometimes rough. HA, bet you never saw at that emotion coming at you with stepping stones did you?
 We are making these stepping stones, and I couldn't be more excited.  Stepping stones are those little jewels of wonder I see at craft fairs that call to me.  I want these things all over my yard, he he he, I am going to that one and that one and...wait how much did you say they were? Ok, maybe I won't be turning my landscaping into a giant glitter ball of color.  The neighbors have their eyesight saved from the blinding effects of thousands of little bits of glass glinting in the sun because of what I can attest to as a very overpriced craft. Well fuzznuts. 
Ho Ho, enter Anita, this wonderful lady I call my blog partner can  turn a craft that I just assumed to be too complex or frightening into an attainable feat.   The stepping stone: she is at her most wonderful a flash of beautiful color on a sunny white winter day, and at her worst she hides amongst the bushes waiting to catch your eye when you have all but forgotten she is there.

As always we have so many different ideas as to how to make our stones the best they can be.  Wildlife, seas of random color, science fiction love, natural wonders, and not so exotic localities, ahem...Nebraska, all came to life in glass.  The color palate was amazing, the actual work time required was not nearly as daunting as I thought, and we had fun playing in concrete.  I don't know why I thought this was so impossible to attempt.  I think I was afraid of the concrete.  That stuff to so resilient, we just added water, no set amount really, and it worked. Thank you concrete for making this craft so easy. So some reusable forms, some glass, contact paper, concrete, and one giant jar of Vaseline, thank you very much Sarah, later and we had some stones we were all proud to call our own.


Want to know how to make your own wonderful stepping stone? Stay tuned to the Beagle for a summer craft-a-thon you won't soon forget. Our cavalcade of crafts is coming soon!

What have you been up to this summer? Craft in and creatin I hope!
Keeping it colorful,
Kelly, the origami ninja

0 comments:

Post a Comment