Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce


I took Halloween off of work this year.  I like this plan, I believe I will do it every year from now on.  I got to be home for all the Tricks-and-Treaters and I spent the first half of that very nice day off processing lots of squash.  It seems like every fall we eat squash for several weeks and then its gone.  Well not this year my friends! I roasted acorn squash and put it freezer, yummed up all the seeds and nibbled on those, and my new favorite inspiration Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce.  

This is by no means a complex recipe, even though it is a Martha Stewart and she can tend towards the extreme, this one comes in on the easy side.

Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce:

Ingredients
1&1/2 lbs of peeled butternut squash, cut into 2 inch chunks
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning, or a bit more if you like those spices, which I do
salt
pepper
5 cloves garlic, peel on
1 cup half and half
water

Preheat oven to 350.  Toss the squash chunks with the oil and the poultry seasoning and spread out on cookie sheet.  I lined my cookie sheet with foil for easier cleanup.  Spread the cloves of garlic around in the squash on the cookie sheet.  Roast until the squash is very tender, 40 minutes to one hour, tossing every twenty minutes.  Remove skin from the now roasty garlic.  Using either a food processor or a boat motor process the squash and garlic until smooth.  Slowly add the half and half and keep processing, now add in water slowly until it is very smooth.  Season with salt and pepper.  You may need to add a bit more water if you like a thinner sauce for your pasta.  Great served over cheese raviolis with shaved Parmesan.  To freeze, pour into your favorite containers and pop it into the freezer of your choice.  When you are heating it up it will need some water added to get the right consistency.  Makes four cups.

I doubled the recipe and loaded up my freezer with this tasty sauce for a quick and easy vegetarian meal or yummy side dish.  Now I think I will try my hand and making my own pasta to have with it, oh yeah that sounds good.......
Anybody got a good recipe or technique?

Keeping it squashy,
Kelly, the origami ninja

0 comments:

Post a Comment