Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A fun farewell to Halloween.

I spent the few quiet hours of Halloween, before the tricks-for-treaters showed up, processing one of falls greatest gifts: squash.  I baked four acorn squash to freeze and filled several zip-lock freezer containers with yummy butternut squash pasta sauce.  We are ready to enjoy the flavors of fall all winter long! With all that squashing about I got lots of seeds to bake.  I roasted both butternut and acorn sqash seeds. While pumpkin seeds are the tasty leftover gifts of jack-o-lantern carving, squash seeds can often be over looked. The squash seeds are smaller and thinner skined, yet just as good.  Now you can enjoy squah for the flesh and the seeds.

These are two butternuts worth of toasty seeds.

  This was four acorn squash worth of seeds but my husband got to them before I could snap the picture.

To roast squash seeds:

Take clean dry squash seeds and toss lightly with oil.  Spread on a foil-lined cookie sheet and sprinkle with salt.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for twenty minutes.  Toss well and bake 20 minutes more, untill golden and lovley. 


In addition to all the crazed baking, I got a wonderful homemade card from my mom to celebrate the most spooky of holidays.  I adore the topic she choose, it fit right in with my day. I had no idea mice could be vampires, thank goodness for garlic!

I hope you had a wonderful holiday and didn't get a tummy-ache from all the candy love, you can bet I did.
Kelly, the origami ninja


0 comments:

Post a Comment