Sunday, February 5, 2012

You win some, you loose some

Well I crossed off two crafts on my master list.  One was for a good reason and the other not so much.  Let's start with the bad news.  I have been working diligently on crocheting my first pair of socks.  I was so confident in my work and was motoring through the pattern.  It took about a week straight of working each night to finish just one but it looked so great I couldn't wait for the second one to try it on.  This is where the happiness ends.
I couldn't for the life of me get the sock over my heel.  I tried and tried and tried.  Even tried to stretch it out and try again but to no avail.  What could I have done wrong?  I followed the pattern to a T.....well with one exception that I didn't realize until it was too late.  I had forgotten to check my gauge.  Yes I know how annoying it is to make a gauge swatch but for all my other projects that I've made so far gauge hasn't mattered so I didn't bother.  This was my first real article of clothing other than a scarf and hat that I was able to adjust along the way.  Now I know, after an entire week's worth of work, that it is the most essential step.  DONT SKIP YOUR GAUGE SWATCH!  Or you might end up with a sock thats only fit to be a paw warmer.  Thanks for modeling, Sadie.

OK on to the victory lap.  Last year I found a tutorial for a paper pieced mini tree skirt at Cutting Corners and knew it had to be my first paper pieced project.  I had started the tree skirt at the december craft day and since then pieced most of the top but it needed to be finished.

I was determined to get another project completely finished and checked off my list today.  I also had a little extra incentive as I was planning on giving the skirt as a gift.  I originally wanted to give it to my Mom for Christmas but with the back log of other gifts it didn't get finished in time.  Thankfully her birthday is in February and like any awesome Mom she doesn't care that you give her a Christmas related gift two months later.  We also happened to be picking up my parents at the airport on their way back into town tonight and head to dinner for Mom's birthday before dropping them off at home.  A perfect opportunity to give her the skirt.  So I got up this morning and got to work.  Most of the day was spent in the craft room at the sewing machine and the dogs took up their usual positions to hang out by my side.

Hours later I was left with this fine piece of work.  I have to say I'm pretty jealous of this one and might have to make one of my own, for next year of course.  Now I've just got to keep up the momentum and keep checking off projects on my list.  I feel pretty inspired to keep going until they're all done. (Fingers crossed.)


Craft on!
Anita

0 comments:

Post a Comment