Sunday, March 25, 2012

Hot Mess

This is how I feel right now.
Yes I would definitely say my crafting world is a hot mess right now.  Still working on those "works in progress" but unfortunately got distracted last week.  I was doing so well too.  So here's what happened.  I had started my new project of a crocheted cowl after finishing off painting the wooden ornaments in my WIP box.  They are all ready to be personalized for Christmas gifts.

Now I have to say this cowl did take a bit longer than I expected as I un-did and re-did it twice.  I'm still a little unhappy about the seam along the back but I took a big girl pill and realized it's not that big of a deal and I'm the only one who would notice anyway.  It has also taken a little longer than usual because its almost entirely done in single crochets, except two rows. 

That's over 7500 stitches, but I'm super happy with the texture of it.  I ended up using Caron's Simply Soft acrylic yarn and have to say I'm a fan.  This is the second project I've used it on and have plans to start a brimmed beanie for myself as the next new project, after I finish two current ones of course.

That's not much of a distraction, you say?  Listen to this.  My loving husband decided spur of the moment to go out of town for a few days and I got a hair up my butt to build him a piece of furniture as a welcome home gift.  (How proud I thought he would be to see me accomplish something big on my own from start to finish.)  We recently got a new couch and ottoman for the living room so now I have renewed urge to remodel rooms in the house.  I've been wanting to try my hand at building for some time now and what better time than when your capable husband is out of town to get yourself in what could be an over-your-head project?  But I had a plan.  Granted it was made in about an hour but a plan all the same. 
I took an extra day off work and headed to my parents house to recruit my dad.  I showed him the plans for this apothecary media cabinet from Ana White that I fell in love with.  Now I had read all the instructions and it didn't look all that hard.  Just a bunch of geometry, which I happen to be pretty good at.  I have to say Dad was pretty skeptical but with some encouragement from me and Mom we headed off to the store to buy the wood.
Seven hours later we had finally finished cutting all the necessary pieces to put my puzzle together.  By that time I was worn out, my Dad looked pretty tired and even the dogs were ready to call it a night so we headed home.  Thankfully Mom volunteered my Dad to come over the next morning to help me get the frame put together.  And we did just that.
After only one extra trip to the Menards(a record for one of my projects) we were able to put the frame together in only 3 hours.  That included time for breaks to throw Mr. B's frisbee and scratches for the Sadie.  I felt really good about the progress and told Dad I could handle it from here, plus I had a girls night out to get ready for.
The next day however is where an unexpected surprise slowed me down.  My husband showed up at 6 in the morning, and a whole day early.  He had driven 12 hours and through the night just because he wanted to be home.  Now while I love my husband and really missed him, I was secretly upset that he had ruined my surprise.  How dare he?  After explaining what I was up to he also decided to point out that one of my shelves was pitifully crooked, and after taking a second look I had to agree with him.  How dare he again?  Now what to do?  Well I'm entirely too anal to have left it that way, so I dismantled the right side of the cabinet and re-screwed the shelves so they would be level.  I have since been able to start on the drawers but it took me some engineering to figure out a system to be able to assemble them on my own as I refuse to let Dan help me.  This is my project and I'll be damned if I can't finish it.  (I have a very strong response to someone telling me I can't do something.  Watch me.) 
So here I am with another unfinished project on my hands and a big mess in the garage.  Plus I need to get my butt in gear to start planning the garden and yard work to start.  OMG if I only had two more hands and 10 more hours in the day.  Stay tuned for more developments and keep your fingers crossed for me!

Build on.....and on!


  1. I'm really impressed! I definitely feel your pain on the time crunch. I'm trying to get sooo much done with the garden and cleaning the house that my head is spinning!

  2. I think it looks pretty good. I can't wait to see the finished product. Girls night! Sounds fun too!

  3. Oh, your dad is so supportive. I really love that. Can't wait to see when you post the finished furniture. I'm sure husband will be surprised still. :)


    p.s. I found you through Lori's blog at bleak2unique. I'm your newest linky follower! if you want you can linky follow me back at :)