Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Greek Almond Cookies

Last week at work we had a potluck to celebrate our email switching over to a new provider.....a bit sad, yes I admit, our IT people are a tad on the odd side.  But it gave us a chance to have some good food and chit chat about whatever and whatnot, a.k.a good yummy fun times.  The theme was Greek and I was in charge of the sweets factor.  I wanted to try something new and I had a nice new can of almond paste in my cabinets so to the interwebs I went to find a cookie to suit my sugar needs.  I found a wonderful recipe on a Greek food blog, truly the best place to find a recipe if I do say so, and the pictures that when with it had me sold in a heart beat.

Greek Almond Cookies

1 can (227 grams) almond paste
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 egg whites (I used egg substitute for three eggs here)
1/2 cup ground almonds
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Whole or sliced almonds for the top of the cookies (optional)


Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat. In a mixing bowl combine all the ingredients and mix well.  I found the almond paste to be too stiff and I couldn’t get it to mix well with all the other ingredients just by using a spoon and stirring by hand, so I emptied the “dough” into the bowl of my food mixer and beat until well combined.  I will admit the dough tastes amazing.  Fill a piping bag with the dough and pipe rounds of “dough” onto the baking sheets (or use a tsp sized cookie scoop/spoon to do so).  Top with sliced almonds, or a whole nut right in the center.  Bake the cookies for 10 to 14 minutes until golden around the edges; cookies will still be soft when you remove them from the oven but will harden as they cool. Let the cookies cool completely on a wire rack before devouring them with both hands.  My cookies don't look anything like the ones on the blog, hers look so pretty, I am betting because of the egg substitute.  But man-oh-man did they taste good!

Please go check out this wonderful blog full of yummy Greek food ideas: Kali Orexi

Keeping it international,
Kelly, the origami ninja


0 comments:

Post a Comment