Saturday, February 18, 2012

Heart Pancakes and Strawberry Syrup

Well Valentine's Day has come and gone but I had such a yummy time I thought I would share some with you.  For breakfast I made some heart shaped pancakes.  I had originally thought about adding some red food coloring to make them extra festive but then I remembered the yummy blueberry syrup I always used to put on my pancakes growing up and had an idea.  What about strawberry syrup?  It's red.  Get it?  Yeah I know I'm a little dumbfounded by my genius sometimes too.  ;)

Now I know you're saying heart pancakes with homemade strawberry syrup?  Anita, that sounds a little involved for me to make early in the morning when only a 3rd of my brain cells are working.  Trust me its not at all.  And if you're extra worried you can just make the syrup the night before.  I like mine warm so I make it right then and there alongside my pancakes.  

Start your syrup first as the pancakes area super quick to make.  You only need three ingredients.

Strawberry Syrup
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 cups frozen strawberries
Defrost your strawberries in your microwave.  This will make them nice and soft.  Now take your favorite mashing tool, I use a potato masher, and go to town.  Mash them until they are no longer recognizable as strawberries.
Now pour your sugar and water into a medium sized skillet and turn it on medium/high. Wait until the sugar solution starts to boil and add your strawberry mash.  Simmer your concoction for 10 minutes or until its thick enough to your liking.  Serve warm with your pancakes and store the extra in the fridge.  

As far as the pancakes I just used the box of mix I had in the pantry.  Now the key to making these not look like blobs(figured this out after half of the batter had already been used up) is to do it in two steps.  First take a spoon full of batter and use it to draw the outline of the heart on your skillet/griddle.  Then go back and fill it in.  The outline will already have cooked enough in a few seconds to make it stiff and hold in the renegade batter in the middle.

What you don't know is that I made some bacon to go along with our pancakes.  Unfortunately Mr. Biscuit was feeling quite frisky this morning and decided to leap atop the table, straight from the ground, and devoured it all by the time I turned around and ran at him yelling "NO!."  "There will be no bacon" I said to my husband.  Thankfully he's a great date even for breakfast and we soon forgot about the lack of protein on the table.  He even split the last heart in half so we could share.  Awwww.   

  
Don't think this is a once in a year breakfast.  Make this for your family whenever you think your fam is in need of feeling the love or just for fun.  Its super easy and really no extra steps than making regular pancakes.  They are so yummy you'll be sure to have an audience just like us.

Of course since it was Valentine's Day I had some special treats for the dogs I made last week, but more on that to come.  Sadie got an extra one since a certain large eared dog was put in time out in his kennel for the rest of our meal.

Love on!
Anita


1 comment:

  1. Awwwww! Lucky Hubby. Maybe you should change Mr. Biscuit's name to Mr. Trouble Maker.

    ReplyDelete