Saturday, April 6, 2013

Expo recap #1

OK So I kinda feel like I went through a sewing tornado the last three days at the Expo but it was amazing.  Most of my classes were great and I can definitely say I learned something in all of them that will be useful.  I did some damage in the vendor shopping area but I'll post about that later.  For now lets just bond over the experience.

All the teachers were super nice in my classes and I have to say the hands on ones were of course the most fun.  I didn't take any pics of my silk screening class but it was taught by a super nice lady named June Colburn.  She also gave me some great advice for printing up a new idea that I have for my home based business that I'm relaunching this spring.  Stay tuned for details. ;)  I learned alot about silk and that it's not as scary to work with as everyone thinks.  Thanks June, for all your knowledge and fun stories!

My other hands on class came yesturday morning and the chick teaching this class was awesome.  Mind you the class was at 8:30 in the morning and she was as perky as a whole pot of starbucks.  I however was not, so her energy really helped.  Most of you don't know that I work nights so getting up the last three days before 9 in the morning was a big stretch but it was worth it every day.  This was my Great things in small projects class taught by the longarm quilter Ms. Lisa Sipes.  You can check out her blog, That Crazy Quilty Girl to get a good idea of what she's all about.  My fave thing though....she has pink hair and was nice enough to take a picture with me & my finished pillow case that we made.
That butterfly on the front is done in embroidered bobbin work.  It was kind of a revelation learning that trick.  We also used a machine in the class that I'm sure I'll never be able to afford so it was extra fun using it; the Brother DreamWeaver.
It had a touchscreen!  Really a good experience to try a different machine but I'm still in love with my new Viking.
 
Other highlights included getting great resource tips for supplies from vendors and teachers along with a ton of support.  There were some select older gals at the expo that were really happy to see a young fresh face and they had lots of info to share.  I love the crafting world for that reason.  In addition there was a fun raffle at the end of each day.  They gave away 5 sewing machines over the course of the weekend along with a bunch of other amazing tools and fabrics.  I wasn't a winner this time but maybe next year.

So to recap, it was awesome but I'm totally exhausted.  I can really understand why people travel to come and I'm so thankful I only had to drive about 20 minutes to get there.  I now have a whole notepad full of scribbles that I'm sure will come in handy.  I can't say enough about taking at least one class at one of these type of events if you're able.  It made the whole thing even more exciting.  Stay tuned for my next post about all the amazing quilts I saw.

Craft on!
Anita

1 comment: